Table of Contents
Robert Vickers was Sheriff.
Moses Scott Rice was County Surveyor.
- The Burlington-Florence Turnpike is incorporated.
- The towns of Burlington and Hamilton are authorized to levy real estate taxes. Burlington is also authorized to levy a poll tax.
- John P. Gaines becomes the first Boone County native elected to the U.S. Congress.
- David Leidy begins a scientific description of the fauna of Big Bone.
- In the “Kentucky Raid,” a group of thirteen Kentucky slave catchers kidnaps fugitive slaves from farms in Cass County, Michigan, though the fugitives are freed by a local judge. The raid is one of the incidents leading to the passage of the more stringent Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.
U.S. & World
- The Donner Party is trapped in the Sierra Mountains for the winter. Just over half the party survives, though some resort to cannibalism.
- The first Chinese immigrants arrive in New York City, starting New York's famous Chinatown.
- Boone County Tax Lists, 1847: District 1, District 2.
1847.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1