Table of Contents
L.A. Loder House (BE 37)
One of Petersburg’s best-loved landmarks, this building was built for Lewis Allen Riddell c.1840. In 1857 it was purchased by Lewis A. Loder, who converted it to a tavern: one of two in Petersburg (see also Schramm’s Tavern). Loder’s diaries record in intimate detail daily life in the town in the second half of the 19th century. Lewis Loder died in 1905 and the house was sold soon after to cousins of the family.
The Loder House is a two-story frame structure facing the river, with a two-tiered, full-length gallery recessed beneath the slope of the roof. Centered in both stories are doorways with transoms and sidelights. All windows retain 6/6 sash with beaded frames. The front wall is clad in flush wooden siding rather than the typical weatherboard.
The house was added to the National Register in 1989.
- The Loder Diary, 1857-1903, by Lewis Allen Loder
- Mixing Fact with Ghoulish Details, by M. Patricia Fox
- National Register Information (PDFs), inventory form and photos