Table of Contents
Established in 1814, the Boone Academy (as it was originally known) was one of the most important institutions in Burlington. It was originally funded by the sale of seminary lands that had been set aside by the state of Kentucky after it joined the Union.
In 1842 the school was renamed the Morgan Academy, in honor of Allan Morgan whose slaves and property were transferred to the Academy.
The Academy was located on a corner next to the Old Burlington Cemetery, with which it shared a fence. The school closed its doors in the 1890s, and was eventually demolished. The location is currently an empty lot.
- National Register Information (PDFs), inventory form and photos
morgan_academy.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1