Table of Contents
Gaines Tavern (BE 350)
The Gaines Tavern History Center is home to the Abner Gaines House, built around 1814. The Federal style home belonged to Colonel Abner Gaines and his family. Gaines operated a tavern here on what became a common stopover point on the Covington-Lexington Turnpike.
The house remained in the Gaines family until after the Civil War. Since then it has been a private residence (owned by the Cleek family) and an antique store. It is now a museum operated by the City of Walton.
The house was added to the National Register in 1980.
- Browse photographs of the Gaines Tavern
- National Register Information (PDFs), inventory form and photos
- "Gaines Tavern," by Elizabeth Coomer
Presented by Elizabeth Comer, 2007
gaines_tavern.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1