- Thomas Metcalfe defeats William T. Barry to be elected as the tenth Governor of Kentucky.
U.S. & World
- Northern and Southern political differences become evident when the Tariff of Abominations is passed, as Southern state legislatures protest the tariff and Vice President John Calhoun pens an anonymous essay arguing that states can nullify federal laws.
- Military hero and southwestern upstart Andrew Jackson defeats incumbent John Quincy Adams for the presidency. John Calhoun is re-elected vice president.
- Construction starts on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, ushering in an era of railroad building in the United States.
- John James Audubon issues the first volume of Birds in America, an engraved series of 1,065 birds in their natural habitats.
1828.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1