William J. Sanford is Sheriff, followed by Benjamin W. White.
- An election precinct is established in the home of James Carleton.
- One of the largest coordinated escapes in U.S. history is attempted by 55-75 armed slaves from several counties. They are captured by the state militia following a shootout.
U.S. & World
- The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ends the Mexican War. Mexico gives up California and all land north of the Rio Grande, which makes up 35% of Mexico's total territory.
- The Whig Party nominates Mexican War hero (and Kentucky native) Zachary Taylor for President, bypassing the more controversial Henry Clay. On the heels of military victory, Taylor wins easily.
- The first Women's Rights Convention in the U.S. opens at Seneca Falls.
1848.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1