- 1788 - Filson overland route from Lexington to Cincinnati
- 1795 - road from Kennedy's Ferry to Dry Ridge opened as a wagon road.
- 1816 – “Squirrel Hollow School,” established
- 1817 – Abner Gaines stage coach from Cincinnati to Lexington.
- 1821 - Thomas Madden is granted a tavern license Maddentown
- 1826 - Madden left named Connersville for the Conner family who owned large amount of land
- 1830 – Florence was incorporated by an act of the state legislature with a population of 63. Pitman Cloudas was first chairman of the Town's Board of Trustees and the first postmaster.
- 1834 – Woolen and Carding factory at end of Banklick St.
- 1836 – The Covington-Lexington Turnpike was completed and Florence became the first stagecoach stop south of Covington.
- 1851 – Town Hall, also used as a school, was erected on a site on Main Street (the site is now occupied by an attorney's office).
- 1862 – An advance guard of the Confederate Army under the command of Brig. Gen. Henry Heath, whose main force had camped at Corinth and Snow's Pond near Walton, encountered Union pickets in the area around the Christian Church. One man was killed, 18 wounded and the Yankees were routed by veteran Confederate troops who were part of a unit known as “Morgan's Raiders.”
- 1896 – Northern Agricultural Fair Association was organized to hold a four-day fair every fall in Florence. The area bounded by U.S. 42, U.S. 25, Gibbons Street and Fair Street was known as the old Fairgrounds.
- 1900 – John Uri Lloyd immortalizes Florence with his best selling novel, Stringtown on the Pike.
- 1907 – John Meeks, recently fired from his position of Town Marshal, shot and killed his replacement, James Albert Clutterbuck, during an altercation on Main Street.
- 1917 – Electricity was installed.
- 1926 – Gas lines were constructed.
- 1931 – A three-story brick building was erected on Center Street for Florence School.
- 1933 – Water lines were constructed.
- 1934 – Albert Hue began organizing a volunteer fire department. He paid $75 for the city's first fire truck, a 1913 Ahrens-Fox pumper.
- 1941 – “Bypass” was built to reroute traffic off Main Street.
- 1959 – Thoroughbreds began racing at Latonia Race Track, which became Turfway Park in 1985.
- 1963 – I-75 was completed between Cincinnati and Knoxville.
florence_timeline.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1