Table of Contents
- The Burlington Turnpike is established from Porter's Ferry on the Ohio River opposite Lawrenceburg, to a point on the Covington-Lexington Turnpike towards the direction of Georgetown.
- An 1836 act of the General Assembly stated: “The trustees of Burlington shall have the power to cause the side walks or streets of said town to be paved, etc”.
- The legislature establishes a common school system, creating districts within each county.
- The Kentucky Rifles fight for Texan independence at the Battle of San Jacinto.
- The Kentucky Geological Survey is formed.
U.S. & World
- Mexican President Santa Anna sends an army to the Alamo, eventually overwhelming and killing the fort's defenders.
- Texas settlers declare independence from Mexico. They defeat Mexican troops at the Battle of San Jacinto and pass a constitution legalizing slavery in the new republic.
- Southern members of Congress get a majority in the House to pass a gag rule effectively prohibiting all discussion of anti-slavery petitions. The rule remains in effect till the mid-1840s.
- The transcendentalist movement develops in the U.S. as Ralph Waldo Emerson publishes his essay, Nature.
- Boone County Tax Lists, 1836.
1836.txt · Last modified: 2020/11/03 18:42 by 127.0.0.1